Skip to main content

Gaining a place at Cwmbran High School


The dates below reflect the situation from 2023. We will update these dates as new ones are released. Use these as an indication for 2023 timeline. 


Starting secondary school is one of the most important events in a child’s life. As a parent / carer, you will no doubt have a wide range of questions about this transition.

If your child is currently attending year 6 at primary school, you will need to apply for them to transfer to secondary school in September 2023.

The Admissions process for children seeking admission into secondary school for September 2024 will commence on September 2023.

The timetable for the admission round is detailed below:

  • Date application packs available 22nd September 2023
  • Closing date for applications 13th November 2023 at 12 midnight
  • Offer date 1st March 2024

More Details can be found regarding Year 6 into Year 7 Transition via our dedicated page here.

How do I apply?

Applications must be completed by the person holding parental responsibility for the child concerned.

Torfaen County Council has an Online Application System , which is available for you to use when making your child’s application. The system enables you to view and amend your child’s application up until the closing date of  13th November 2023 at 12 midnight. Alternatively, you can contact us on the details below to request a paper application.

Please take some time to read the Guidance Notes and the Starting School Booklet to help you with the completion of your application, and understand how school places will be allocated, before submitting your application.

Phone: 01495 766915


Torfaen Admissions Team

Civic Centre



If you are not a Torfaen resident you will be required to contact your Home Authority to seek advice on how to apply.

If however you wish for your child to attend a Voluntary Aided School, you will need to contact the school direct for the necessary admission arrangements.


In Year Transfer

If you decide to move your child/ren between schools during the academic year, an In Year Transfer Application Form will need to be completed for each child.

More information can be found via the Torfaen County Council website here