Head of Department

Mr D Baribeault


Design & Technology

The Design Technology department is housed in a separate block, along with the Art and Design Department, between upper and lower school. It comprises of a newly built catering area, a wood working room, a textiles room, an electronics room and a graphics suite. We have good ICT facilities in the Department, two high powered laser cutter and a 3D printer. This has enabled us to develop computer aided design and manufacture in the department helping to raise the quality of work produced to a high standard.

We believe that we can offer learners a diverse, unique and individually tailored learning experience that will help them develop crucial practical skills required for the future and desired by employers.

Learning Page

What will you learn?

The aim of our subject is to teach pupils how to identify a problem and then design and manufacture a working solution to encourage and develop creativity and innovation. This ethos is covered in all subject areas and pupils are given the opportunity to specialise in the area they prefer. The subject areas covered are

  • Textiles
  • Graphic Media
  • Resistant Materials
  • Food Technology
  • Electronics

Key Stage 3 (11-14years)

At Key Stage 3 pupils will study all of the above areas giving them a broad knowledge and a diverse experience of design with different outcomes. Pupils will make fun and interesting products such as sock monkeys and latch and hook wall hangings in Textiles, a Welsh storage box, an electronic dice and a phone holder which incorporates CAD/CAM in Resistant Materials. In Food Technology pupils will learn that cooking and eating healthily doesn’t have to be boring and bland, pupils learn about foods from around the world and how to grow and cook their own balanced meals. Graphic Media will enable pupils to learn how Graphic Designers go about creating packaging and pupils will design their own chocolate bar wrapper, invent a new PlayStation/Xbox game and design the smart phone of the future and model is using Computer Aided Design (CAD).

Key Stage 4 (14-16) Level 2 Courses

At Key Stage 4 we offer a wide range of courses to allow pupils to specialise in one or more of the chosen areas that they studied at key stage 3. We currently offer learners a choice of 2 GCSE courses and one BTEC option (courses will run subject to uptake requirements).

GCSE Courses

If pupils choose to follow the GCSE route they will have a choice of studying Product Design or Health and Social Care.


GCSE Product Design (WJEC)

If opting for Product Design, learners will have the opportunity to analyse and research situations, design and make products and then evaluate their final outcome against their original specification. This WJEC GCSE in Product Design offers a unique opportunity in the curriculum for learners to identify and solve real problems by designing and making products or systems. Through studying GCSE Product Design, learners will be prepared to participate confidently and successfully in an increasingly technological world; and be aware of, and learn from, wider influences on design and technology, including historical, social/cultural, environmental and economic factors.

Learners are required to complete a Non Exam Assessment (NEA) worth 50% and a final written examination worth the remaining 50%.

GCSE Health and Social Care Single Award (WJEC)

Learners pursuing a course of study based on this specification will develop their knowledge and understanding of Health and Social Care in a vocational context. It is a suitable qualification for those who want a broad background in this area and also those who want to progress to higher education. It will offer valuable preparation for those entering the world of work. Unit 1 Health, Social Care and Children’s Services is completed as a Controlled Assessed Test (CAT) and is worth 60% of the overall grade. Unit 2 Human Growth and Development is completed as an 1 ¼ hour written examination paper that will contain short-answer, structured and free response questions drawn from the unit, this is worth the remaining 40% of the overall grade.

BTEC Level 2 Hospitality and Catering (Pearson)

The BTEC Hospitality and Catering is the equivalent of a GCSE A – C grade. The NQF framework requires pupils to sit an externally assessed exam worth 25% of the overall grade and complete 3 other challenging units worth the remaining 75% of the grade (subject to qualification level) that will introduce a range of skills of vocational skills that link directly to the Hospitality and Catering industry.

This is an interesting and highly successful course involving practical opportunities to prepare and serve food for a variety of occasions such as careers conventions, lunchtime meals to staff, coffee mornings etc. The catering industry in the local area is looked at in detail with an opportunity for work experience placements in local hotels and restaurants. Learners have opportunities to work in groups and individually to plan organise and run events.

In addition, healthy living and preparing meals nutritionally and hygienically will be studied with the possibility of additional qualifications gained din basic food hygiene. Hard work, independence and is required to produce the folder of evidence through practical based teaching.