Only pupils that were finishing Eng Lit in Year 10 will receive a final grade this year. This grade will be based on January exam performance and teacher predictions based on assessments and quality of coursework. These predictions will be confidential as we do not know how the exam boards are going to use our predictions to generate a final grade. All other subjects will grade based on exams sat at the end of Year 11 or coursework submission next year. The final grades achieved in Year 11 will be based on exams at the end of Year 11.
Head of Year
Mr N Hine
Year 10 means the start of your child’s GCSE and BTEC qualifications, which is the most important time in their education so far. Year 10 need to establish a positive ethos of continues work and assessment in order to ensure they reach their full potential.
These 2 years can make and mould the direction of their lives. This is where the quest for those important grades begin and the opportunity to start exploring the possibility of Further and Higher Education in the future. Punctuality, high effort and completion of all work set is a goal that all students in Year 10 should aim for in order to achieve the highest success possible. All students in Year 10 should also strive to be positive, confident, respectful to all, and always try their best.
At Cwmbran High School we value our partnership with both students and parents/carers, and welcome your support of your child’s education. If you would like to discuss your child’s individual requirements, please do not hesitate to contact Mr Hine (HoY 10) 01633 643950 or Email: HeadOfYear10@chs.schoolsedu.org.uk
Registration and tutor time begins at 8.35am and it is essential all students arrive promptly and engage in the activities held by their tutors. Tutor time prepares students for the school day and should be used judiciously. If your tutor has not given you something specific to do you should read or complete some school work. Lateness to tutor time will not be tolerated in Year 10.
All pupils at Cwmbran High School are expected to be well equipped for a productive day of learning. Each pupil will receive regular checks each week to ensure they have all equipment required. All pupils should attend with the following equipment:
- School bag
- Planner (signed every week by parents/carers and form tutor)
- PE kit (on days required)
Remember to prepare your school bag each evening and ensure you have everything you need.
Year 10 students are role models for the lower school and must therefore ensure that they wear the correct uniform at all times and look smart and ready to learn. Please refer to the school’s uniform policy on our website and remember that your tutor and the Year 10 team will be checking uniform rigorously. Expect to be issued a detention or even sent home if you flout the uniform policy.
Check the Year 10 page regularly for revision tips and information about events and activities for students.
- Revise in 30 to 40 minute sessions, allowing a 10 minute break to give your brain a rest.
- Reduce your lesson notes to key points that are easier to revise.
- Make your revision timetable early! Organisation is a major part of successful revision.
- Practice, practice, practice exam questions! You need to be able to link the theory you have learnt to what the question is asking.
- Keep on top of deadlines – know when work is due in and schedule time to complete it.
- Ensure you are aware of what is expected for each piece work and how marks are awarded.
- Allow time to go over work before a deadline – get draft work to your teacher for comments and suggestions about how to improve.
- Invest in a wall-planner (or devise one of your own). Write all coursework deadlines and exams on it.
- Create a work space where you will be comfortable and not interrupted
All homework will be issued on a regular basis in line with each faculty’s homework policy. All pupils are expected to record their homework clearly in their planners to ensure they have an accurate record of the tasks set and the date their homework is due to be handed in.