Head of Department
Miss S Plumley
Pupils in years 7-11 will follow the Welsh 2nd Language course. The aims of the course are to enable learners:
- to understand and use Welsh for a variety of purposes;
- to develop their language skills to be able to communicate confidently and spontaneously;
- to develop their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills;
- to be able to use Welsh in wider educational settings, in the workplace and in their communities;
- to develop an interest in the Welsh language.
Course content will be based around 3 main themes: Youth, Employment and Wales and the World. Welsh lessons are interactive, fun and include lots of different activities to keep lessons interesting and pupils fully engaged. Staff are committed to creating fast paced and challenging lessons to ensure all pupils succeed.
Key Stage 3
The Key Stage 3 scheme of learning focuses on building learners’ confidence and developing a secure understanding of key Welsh phrases and sentence patterns. Pupils in Years 7, 8 and 9 have the opportunity to develop their reading, writing and oracy skills through studying a variety of topics based on their interests, including Music, TV and Film, Holidays and Leisure Time.
Key Stage 4
The Key Stage 4 scheme of learning prepares pupils for their GCSE examinations. Pupils will sit 4 examinations in total; 2 paired speaking and listening examinations (Units 1 and 2) and 2 reading and writing papers (Units 3 and 4). Pupils in years 10 and 11 have the opportunity to develop essential examination skills through studying a variety of topics based on issues affecting young people, such as School, Employment and The Environment.